Formerly known as the:
EVANGELICAL FREE CHURCH OF WEST HAVEN
“Hitherto hath the Lord helped us.”
To the glory of the Lord and the memory of the founders of’ the Evangelical Free Church of West Haven, we the present members thank God that we are now celebrating fifty eight years of serving Jesus Christ in the City of West Haven. What follows is a brief history.
It was on June 6th, 1954 that his church was dedicated to:
The worship of our God and Savior,
the Lord Jesus Christ;
The fellowship of believers in Christ;
The witness of the Gospel through the Scriptures.
God has been faithful to us through these forty years as we have proclaimed the Word and Christ’s redemption for the world. The church was first started as a mission outreach of the New Haven Evangelical Free Church of which Rev. Arnold Malmberg was pastor. In 1952, visitation was done in the Shore Haven area of West Haven by the Rev. Dennis Anderson. Under the direction of Rev. Gerald Gillaspie, Assistant Pastor of the New Haven E.F. Church, a Sunday School and Prayer Service was begun in the home of Mr. and Mrs David Goodell on Easy Rudder Lane.
As the number of children grew, so did the vision of the New Haven Church. In the fall of 1953, a committee was farmed by that church to oversee the West Haven Mission Project. A piece of land was purchased at the corner of Jones Hill Road and South Street far $4,500.00. In January1954 authorization was given by the Town of West Haven for the erection of a church at an estimated cost of $18,000.00.
The building was completed and dedicated on June 6, 1954. The church was incorporated on November 2nd, 1955 and became known as the Evangelical Free Church of West Haven with 27 charter members.
A constitution which had been previously drawn up was adopted by the new membership. The Rev. Gerald Cillaspie served as first pastor until August 5. 1957 From there many faithful pastors and families have served this church through the decades. In September of 1993, our current pastor Rev. William Gast, wife Laurie, and their three teenage children arrived in West Haven from McHenry, Illinois.
Since 1953 God has blessed this church in many ways. With the help of many the sanctuary was expanded and upgraded to multipurpose use. The property next door was purchased for classroom use. In 1999 we changed the name of the church to reflect the community and culture.
Ever present has been the continued commitment to Jesus and his Word. Part of that has been a conviction that we give to the world around us through international and local missions. May God continue to be honored by this church family and may we do our part to build God’s Kingdom till he comes again.